Random thoughts, comments, observations and general fluff from a random bint who left London at the end of September 2004 to embark on a new life and new adventures in Tokyo, land of the cute.... and is leaving mid-June 2010 - and counting!

Monday, December 11, 2006

Yay me!

The certTESOL is over and I passed. The moderator came from London yesterday, checked all of our work and interviewed us and it`s over.

Anyone fancy paying for me to do the diploma next?

---------------------------

Internet at home is STILL buggered.

--------------------------

I NOW have time to sort out Thailand. Finally. And I`ve decided to change my plans... and spend a few days in Laos as well. Thailand has been cut down to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Kanchanburi, Phitsanulok, Sukhothai and Ayuthaya. At the moment. That gives me a few days to see visit Luang Prabang and Vientiane.

Of course, I may change my mind AGAIN by the time I`ve left this internet cafe!

--------------------------

Mind has been changed. I`m going to leave Laos for another trip. BUT I`ve booked onto a cooking course and am dithering (what a surprise) with booking onto a day at the Elephant Nature Foundation. I have always adored elephants but my ethics are fighting with this one a bit. I want to know more about the place before I hand over my money. I like the sound of it because you can`t ride the elephants or see them painting or entertaining. I want to know how they are actually treated though.

Anyone know anything about this place?

-------------------------

I think I have laryngitis. Singing karaoke in a smoky room probably did not help with this.

4 Comments:

Blogger Liisa said...

Congratulations Jo!!!

7:35 pm

 
Blogger Sigsy said...

Enjoy Thailand Jo-san. And regarding elephants, personally if there's no painting or trunk juggling - forget it. I haven't refrained from meat for 18 years to be denied the opportunity to see animals dressed in human clothes engaging in human activites. No way. There's nothing I like more than going to a shrine to contemplate and seeing a monkey in a waistcoat, usually no pants, playing a flute or something. It's brilliant. Equal only to gazing into the observer's happy faces as they and their children, sometimes up to four generations all happily chorus 'Kawai' as the monkey is electrocuted, I mean enjoys performing some amazing human feet.
Anyway - have a great time and pop over for nabe on your return. I'll get some animal entertainment in.

1:50 am

 
Blogger Timorous Beastie said...

Wayhey! Congratulations!

I would go to an elephant sanctuary only if it involves learning about the threats to their environment, feeding them, learning about their care and no riding or other types of performances. Bear in mind that any benefit visitors can provide in 1 day is very limited, so it might be more about your entertainment than the animals' welfare.

10:01 am

 
Blogger Jo said...

liisa loo - thank you!

sigsy, beastie - everything sounds quite good about this place BUT i AM a cynical bitch and feel very strongly about mistreatment of animals. which is why i want to know more about this place before committing to go.

8:41 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home