Random thoughts, comments, observations and general fluff from a random bint who left London at the end of September 2004 to embark on a new life and new adventures in Tokyo, land of the cute.... and is leaving mid-June 2010 - and counting!

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Divebombed by Godzilla

Now, in my ignorance at such matters, I'd always thought a cicada was a cute little green thing that happily hid in the grass and chirruped away all day and night.

That was until I came (practically) nose to nose with Godzilla this morning. The Japanese cicada, or semi, is terrifying. Especially when you have the impression that a big black golf ball which is loudly whistling and clacking and moving at about 50 mph is heading straight for you like a thunderbolt and misses you by about half a metre.

I resisted screaming but couldn't hold in the most dignified, and extremely loud 'FUCKING HELL'.

I've googled but cannot actually find a picture to do Godzilla-the-semi-Golfball justice.

Horrid scary thing.

Japan is fun. Sometimes.

Of course, I'm now paranoid that every time I hear a clip or clapper that one is going to appear. I have an insect door (whatever they're called) across my balcony, so there is NO way they could get into my apartment. But still...... EEK!

3 Comments:

Blogger Liisa said...

So it was THAT creature I saw the other day.

9:09 am

 
Blogger Jo said...

big scary black thing and not a cute little green thing?

11:30 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crickets are the harmless little things that chirp throughout the night.

Cicadas are a scarier thing altogether!

12:53 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home