Random thoughts, comments, observations and general fluff from a random bint who left London at the end of September 2004 to embark on a new life and new adventures in Tokyo, land of the cute.... and is leaving mid-June 2010 - and counting!

Friday, July 15, 2005

Harry-styria

I don't get it.

Yes, I've read all the Harry Potter books. Yes, I've seen all of the movies. BUT, I certainly didn't pre-order them, or rush to buy them. In fact the first three I got in paperback. Five definitely was in hardback - though a long time after it came out, and four I don't remember.

When I read a book, I want to enjoy it. I don't want to race through it. I want to savour it. Sure, some books are unputdownable, but people are planning to put aside their entire weekend to read it before Monday which seems nuts to me. Shops opening at midnight so people can buy the book. The huge amount of hysteria and marketing involved.

J.K. Rowling, and the publishers, must be pissing themselves laughing at this behaviour. (Whilst of course rubbing their hands together in glee over how much more money they'll be getting).

It's fiction, for fucks sake. I just don't understand they hype.

In London, every time a new Harry Potter came out, you'd see, on the train, 8 out of every 10 adults sitting reading it.

They are good books. But there are a lot better ones.

I'll read it eventually. Maybe when it comes out in paperback, or when I can borrow it from someone else. But for now, I have much better things to spend my money on and my own ever growing pile of exciting books to enjoy. And besides, big bulky hardbacks annoy me as they just aren't practical.

Anyway, please feel free to defend yourself if you disagree with me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

man, i've nothing to do with harry potter and it's quite annoying what i will say, but well, harry-styria is an appropriate neologism! harry is a proper name and...styria too! i live in styria, which is an austrian region (steiermark, in english: styria)...ok, it was an uninteresting comment, but it was one.

5:51 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home