Random thoughts, comments, observations and general fluff from a random bint who left London at the end of September 2004 to embark on a new life and new adventures in Tokyo, land of the cute.... and is leaving mid-June 2010 - and counting!

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Kerala

Well, I've already decided to come back next year and take off where I leave off here.

My Madikeri veggie hunt wasn't. I finally found somewhere that had salad - well, slices of tomato, cucumber, onion and carrot, and doused it in cucumber raita. I saw veggies in the streets - but the veg restaurants weren't using them. A mystery!

Anyway, decided I had to fly down to south of Kerala yesterday. Let's just say the flight actually cost me three times what I'd been expecting to pay for it, but the taxi ride from Madikeri to Mangalore airport (about half the time it would have taken by bus apparently) was spectacular as we weaved through the Coorg mountains with beauty that just stunned me in places.

Mangalore airport was pretty much chaos. I imagine that's pretty normal for here! My sodding credit card was blocked but luckily they had a working ATM that took my Japanese card.

I phoned around for a hotel. There was a room available - not so cheap - at the YWCA in Trivandrum - and as I was arriving late I took it. The Lonely Planet guide made it sound quite nice.

The women of Kerala scare me! I've seen lots of scary Kerala women - donno why! Anyway, the woman running the reception of the YWCA was particularly scary. The room was okay - big, clean, big bathroom - but there was a CURFEW. I was stunned. A 10pm curfew at a bloody hotel. Insane. Needless to say, I got up early today and pounded the streets around the bus station area - much nicer - and after about 20+ places told me they had nothing, I found a new place. It's just for tonight and then I'm off again tomorrow.

Today was a big running around day. Lots of sightseeing - museums, temples, gardens, markets, etc. There's a really nice restaurant mentioned in the guide book, but I can't find it! I'm knackered anyway, so it's probably gonna be a very early new year's eve for me - plus I'm still downing the antibiotics.

Kerala is much hotter that Karnataka was. It's a shame I've so little time here but at least I've figured out where I'm coming next year!

Happy New Year to you all. May your celebrations be fun and stress free and may 2009 give you all you desire and more.

Love you!

xxx

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you too! Glad to hear you're feeling better! XX

4:41 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! I'm glad you like Kerala so much!

5:58 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home