Random thoughts, comments, observations and general fluff from a random bint who left London at the end of September 2004 to embark on a new life and new adventures in Tokyo, land of the cute.... and is leaving mid-June 2010 - and counting!

Sunday, June 08, 2008

Social Skills 101

I don't teach social skills to adults, I teach English. However, if I DID teach social skills I'd teach people that the following is a big case of oops:

I taught a cover day and had an afternoon class. There were two housewives in their 50s or 60s (Japanese are really hard for me to age. But then a lot say the same about Westerners; in fact, one guessed my age to be about 22 the other day, but I think she was probably on drugs) and they had a brand new classmate from Korea, in for her first lesson, and about half their age.

She came late. She sat down. One housewife pointed straight at her belly and asked if she was pregnant. She wasn't. She nearly died. The housewife mumbled something about it being the top she was wearing, and clearly wished the ground could have swallowed her up.

I fear newbie is in for a tough ride with the older two!

P.S. I currently can't stop reading http://www.mattlogelin.com/ which is an amazing website about an incredible guy bringing up a new baby alone after his wife died. His strength, his love and the love of the people in his support network are incredible. I can't even begin to imagine how this guy feels but his site is somewhat addictive. He generally updates daily.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sigsy said...

Shit Jo, I just spent all morning at this site, tears streaming down my face.
Thanks for the link, it makes me feel.

2:03 pm

 
Blogger Jo said...

incredible, isn't it? i had to share it.

4:22 pm

 
Blogger The Pixy Princess said...

I just spent an entire afternoon at work reading that blog.
Misspent, some would say. I disagree - well spent in every way. Thanks for sharing the link.

5:19 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home