Random thoughts, comments, observations and general fluff from a random bint who left London at the end of September 2004 to embark on a new life and new adventures in Tokyo, land of the cute.... and is leaving mid-June 2010 - and counting!

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

"Oh how cute"

Yes, I just uttered those words in reaction to a not particularly cute dog seat for a car. I'm doomed.

_________________________________

On a more serious note, today there was another earthquake in east Japan, a 6.5 or 6.8 (depending on which report you read). Or 5 to 6.3 according to NHK news depending on the area. (I give up!)

Oo apparantly an old lady fell out of bed and had a nosebleed as a result of the quake. Poor love. (You have to hear NHK News to believe it sometimes!)

I've now taught a few lessons during earthquakes and I never know how I should react. The students always look pretty worried, whereas I'm pretty 'whatever' about the whole thing. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen, and all that... although I think I'd rather die in a karaoke can with a vodka in one hand and a mic in the other, than in a classroom. But that's me. Anyway, I generally continue teaching when the classroom starts shaking. I wonder what other teachers do. I mean, I'm not going to start panicking and running around the classroom screaming, or go tearing out of the room for a little shake and rattle, am I? So what should I do? I also figure they are paying so should be getting there money's worth, potential death or not.

Does this make me weird?!

3 Comments:

Blogger Elspeth said...

re the dog seat - Yes your probably doomed, tee hee.

I have seen some of the earthquakes on the news and when I do I always think of you and another blogger I know over there. As they are that common I think I would probably work through them too. All I remember about earthquakes is if it gets bad stand under a door frame.

5:21 am

 
Blogger Jo said...

Well, this week we've had two so far!

10:38 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I taught through last night's earthquake. I'm not sure what I would have done if it had been a kids' class though.

Another teacher said that he and his entire class ran for the door, since even a truck going by is enough to make the windows rattle.

11:37 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home