Random thoughts, comments, observations and general fluff from a random bint who left London at the end of September 2004 to embark on a new life and new adventures in Tokyo, land of the cute.... and is leaving mid-June 2010 - and counting!

Thursday, November 26, 2009

From 'hola' to 'merde'

The next move.

A couple of years ago I decided it would be an awesome experience to go and work in Saudi, the UAE or thereabouts. Then I got hooked on Argentina. Argentina turned to Madrid and finally settled on Barcelona. I've been totally committed to moving to Barcelona for most of this year. Totally. Studying Spanish, reading Barcelona blogs, keeping an eye on the company I want to work for and the alternatives committed.

Until a couple of weeks ago when I started worrying about the Spanish market and how easy it would be to actually get work there. And then other Spanish cities, German cities, French cities started creeping into my mind. No Italian cities. Italians are crazy. I've lived with some. Kidding. Italians are lovely BUT maybe a little too enthusiastic for a day-to-day grump like to me to deal with without losing the little bit of sanity I still hold.

And then.

Then last night I watched BEFORE SUNSET again. First time in years. A passing thought to Paris has turned to obsession in the last 12 hours. It started the moment the camera hit 'Shakespeare and co' and took me on the hugest trip down memory lane.

Paris. Paris. Paris. Perfect Paris.

I'm not going to blog about Paris now but suffice it to say, I lived in Paris for two years after university and the time is filled with many fond memories. I also met up with a load of people for a huge pissup about nine years ago. More fond memories.

Paris is idealised for me. Paris makes me smile. Paris is all shiny and happy and lovely.

And - should I go back to live there - well, I don't believe in backtracking and maybe it WOULD be backtracking. Maybe it's not the best idea to consider. But moving forward means taking a new road.

I'm sure there were things I disliked about living in Paris. But I can't think of any. And there lies the danger.

Then again, I'm sure nine years after leaving Tokyo I'll look back with nothing but fond memories too.

Maybe I'll just toss the coin of fate into the air - make an attack on Paris, Barcelona and yet to be decided German city (Berlin maybe?) and see who throws it back to me.

Maybe.

Oh, and if you're wondering why I'm blogging so much of late, it's because I don't have time. Seriously, I don't. It's just easier than finishing the diploma reports that have a looming deadline, and I'm sitting over my computer anyway and it's the most pleasant procrastination device I can think of.

And Paris? Maybe I'll share some of the memories soon.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's completely unimportant as to who I am, on account of, I don't know you, and you don't know me, but this could possibly offer the insight you were hoping for. I would say no to Paris, simply for the reasons you stated, it may pop the perfect bubble you have around Paris, and remind you why you're not still there. Try something new, take your chances with Barcelona, and bon chance! Hope this helped, think of it as a divine intervention into your life.

12:59 pm

 
Blogger Jo said...

dear anonymous,

my heart says you are right.

well, part of it anyway!

Cheers,

xxx

3:04 pm

 
Blogger Timorous Beastie said...

I'd also say it might be a mistake to go back. Sometimes it's better to let things remain wonderful yet unobtained. Maybe they're wonderful partly because they're unobtained. I feel a bit like this about Prague - I had such a great time there, I love it when I go back to visit, but I don't think it would be right to go and live there again. That said, Prague doesn't have fine cuisine and excellent wine on every corner. Maybe there's something in that....

3:11 am

 
Blogger Jo said...

LOL. Thanks Beastie!

xxx

9:52 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home