Random thoughts, comments, observations and general fluff from a random bint who left London at the end of September 2004 to embark on a new life and new adventures in Tokyo, land of the cute.... and is leaving mid-June 2010 - and counting!

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Surprising? No.

Bloody hell, it's cold. I'm in my room in a LOT of clothes and a hat. I keep turning the heating on. And off. I like the heating. My computer doesn't. And, as I'm trying to get my diploma reports finished, the computers wishes are rather more important than mine. (Too much heat slows my old computer down too much and I don't want to buy a new computer in Japan).

And while trying to finish said reports my concentration is focusing on everything but.

I'm remembering a couple of things I forgot to put in my last blog entry -

Like about a new student that comes to class with both a Louis Vuitton (yuck) bag AND a pink 100 yen bag (50p). It's kind of odd - but it kind of isn't. Maybe I really have been here too long. I've attempted to figure out what message she's trying to give with this combination, but concluded she probably isn't. Whatever takes your fancy, I guess.

In our classrooms everyone sits around a (normally rectangular) table - well, in adult lessons anyway. I normally sit on the floor with kids, or chairs without tables..... anyway, in adult lessons we sit around a table (no space not to) and in almost every class students choose to sit in the same place every week. A private student, as much as a group student. I've had students moving chairs around if one is missing from their normal gap and they want that gap. I've also had students arriving AFTER a new student has arrived and telling them to move from 'their' spot. And had new students asking members of a class where they can sit.

Of course I move students around sometimes, but they really don't like it.

Anyhoo, I decided to play detective and asked one group why this was the case. They decided because they had found a comfortable seat was the main answer. (All the chairs are the same) and that they didn't like changing. Oh and maybe out of politeness.

If it was up to me, I'd have the lot of them sitting on the floor! But my real point here, is (and I'm sure this is not a nice thing to say) one of the things that frustrates me most about my students IS their predictability. I know where they'll sit. I know what they'll say. I know how they'll react (or not react) to things.

I know I'm the teacher and it's MY job to motivate THEM, and not the other way around, but sometimes I just want to shake things up. Of course, not all of my students are like this. And for that I am thankful.

Now, enough of this procrastinating. I really must get one of the three reports finished tonight. Or maybe I should tidy my room, or wash some clothes, or book a hotel in Delhi, or have a nap, watch a movie, make some pasta, update my twitter profile, check facebook again, email one of the many people I've been meaning to email for ages, study some Spanish, update my iPod, make a cup of coffee, go for a walk, have a shower......

REPORT!

Oh, P.S. I decided to not do the diploma exam last Friday. I'm going to do it in May instead.

P.P.S. My house that's being demolished -I have until the start of March to move. The agency is offering a pretty good bargain to move into another of their properties but I have to assume here that all their bread isn't baked in the same oven as - well, the condition of the current place and the mentality of the landlady are both not good. Still, won't be forever, so am considering this option.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home