Random thoughts, comments, observations and general fluff from a random bint who left London at the end of September 2004 to embark on a new life and new adventures in Tokyo, land of the cute.... and is leaving mid-June 2010 - and counting!

Friday, June 20, 2008

Rude Bastards

Firstly, a couple more spotted t-shirts, but by a mate this time not me:

On a [quote] "slightly retarded looking bloke":

"Get off my bone, cos I'm doing my own."

And an unspecified person:

"Fuck me"

------------------------------------------

Yesterday I got so pissed off that I shouted. On a fairly quiet street, in an area I didn't know, where there weren't many people around, I didn't know which way to go to get back to the train station. I called over 'sumimasen' (excuse me) to a passing woman. She ignored me. I thought maybe she'd not heard me so I shouted a little louder as I walked towards her. She picked up her speed and wouldn't even look in my direction. I was LIVID. I hope her dog pisses on every one of her designer bags.

Today I wasn't too happy either with the behaviour of some people: on a Friday I have an afternoon class whose members have changed a bit since I took on the group, eg people only having a few lessons left when I got the group, people taking month breaks, people only signing on for three months, etc. But there's been one constant, a leathery looking lady in her 60s or 70s who has maybe been on time 3 or 4 times in about 4 months, never studies at home and often seems to forget to come and forgets to phone too. Often. But I still have to be there and I still have to prepare a lesson. Well, about 3 weeks ago, I gave a trial lesson to a student and we decided to put her into the same group as leather lady was the only one left at that time. Trial student told us her friend would be joining too and we kind of bent a few rules to accommodate the friend and her low level to the class. Has the friend turned up yet? Has she fuck. She's paid though, which means the lesson is longer than it would have been without her having paid. And Trial'd woman didn't turn up today or phone either. Twats.

I just find it really selfish as I'm expected to prepare a lesson and I'm expected to sit around waiting for them.

THEN I had an 80 minute lesson booked to teach a pretty boring Korean guy - and the fucker didn't turn up or phone and I had to sit around twiddling my thumbs in case he came in late.

I mean, just because you pay money, you can still have the courtesy of contacting the school and letting them know you're busy, sick, can't be arsed, dropped dead, can't you?

FINALLY, I gave a trial lesson to a pretty cute, extremely rich (well, this is what he told reception anyway) 40-ish year old dentist...

who had the personality of a peanut. He was utterly charmless. I felt deflated.

AND in between I'd taught a prostitute, a moustached lady and my two favourite kids.

Did I mention I had 80-minutes the other day with the 19-year old. Teaching that is!

6 Comments:

Blogger The Pixy Princess said...

Poor dear! At least its all good material for the blog eh?

11:31 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did you know she was a pro?

1:10 pm

 
Blogger Jo said...

want her number? ;-)

7:35 am

 
Blogger zoe said...

At least you are being paid ... I once agreed to give two professors who were renting offices in the building where I worked English oral lessons. My English was far better back then than it is now (in case you're worried).

Their offices were right under the roof and therefore very hot ... and I once fell asleep .... several times during one 'lesson'.

The horror!

2:24 am

 
Blogger zoe said...

P.S. They were (and probably still are) Finnish. I've met pickled herrings with more personality.

2:26 am

 
Blogger Jo said...

zoe - lmao! it can be the same with our students. i've almost fallen asleep a few times. thank fuck for caffeine....

and, whereas some students will walk in eagerly ready to babble away, others really give the impression that they can't give a single thought or comment of their own without it being dragged out of them.

oh, and as long as your english is better than that of your students, it doesn't really matter, does it?!

p.s. am planning to move next spring to spain. we'll be almost neighbours. ish. kind of.

7:15 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home