Random thoughts, comments, observations and general fluff from a random bint who left London at the end of September 2004 to embark on a new life and new adventures in Tokyo, land of the cute.... and is leaving mid-June 2010 - and counting!

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

I could cry... with happiness

In 1997 I took a government loan (career development loan) to fund an NCTJ Journalism qualification.

The interest payments on this were ridiculously high and - long story, short - I couldn't cope and got into bad debt. Several times consolidated huge overdraft, credit card and loans into a new loan and always, thanks to repayments that were too high for my salary and outgoings, got into new debt. Finally got a repayment agreement I could cope with.

And the FINAL payment - after TEN YEARS of this hanging over me and restricting my movements - has just gone from my account. Just gotta clear a little bit of credit card now and sort out England and then I'll actually be in a position to do some serious saving. For the first time in - well, ten years, I guess.

And just maybe I'll actually be able to buy something I want and not something that's the cheapest version of whatever. For once.

4 Comments:

Blogger Caro said...

Wow! congrats.

12:53 am

 
Blogger Mr Jerrit said...

Fantastic Jo! Well done!

x

3:39 am

 
Blogger The Pixy Princess said...

yey for you!!

11:51 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in debt when I was 18. Worked for the bank for 6 months to get out of it. Never again!

12:34 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home